Fix discord stuck on checking for updates. Restart your computer and again open the discord app let check for and install the latest updates. Rebooting your PC flush memory, drop partial data not written to disk and restart the Discord update process that probably fixes the Discord update loop.
- 0.1 5 Ways To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates
- 0.2 Why is my discord stuck on updating?
- 0.3 How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates?
- 1 How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates
- 1.1 What Is Discord?
- 1.2 Why Does Discord Fail To Update?
- 1.3 How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates Error?
- 1.4 Summary
5 Ways To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates
Are you trying to update Discord? But you are stuck on the Discord stuck on checking for updates error? If yes, read on.
Discord update failed is one of the common errors that we often face. In this case, we get to see a Discord updated failed loop. As a result, you cannot access Discord or update it anymore.
However, the good part is that fixing Discord not updating error is extremely easy, and there are a bunch of methods that you can try out.
To help you out, I am going to mention all the fixes to fix discord update loop one by one. So let’s just head into the topic without wasting much of the time:
Why is my discord stuck on updating?
There are quite a lot of reasons why Discord stuck on checking for updates. However, two of the common reason is:
1. Your Discord app does not have administrator privileges. As a result, it is facing issues while updating.
Also check : How to update discord
2. It can also be a network glitch that is not letting Discord download the necessary update files. As a result, it is stuck on the update screen only and trying to download the necessary update files.
Apart from these two reasons, there can be quite a lot of other reasons too why Discord stuck downloading update.
Anyway, let me just go ahead and talk about the possible solutions to fix Discord won’t update error:
How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates?
1. Run Discord As Administrator
One of the first things that you can do is run Discord as administrator. There is a high chance that Discord is lacking admin access to run the update and install it by itself.
So if you do give Discord all the required access, Discord stuck on checking updates error might get fixed.
For this, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows search bar and type down Discord.
- Then right click on Discord and select “Run as administrator”.
- Next, click on the Yes button, and Discord will start looking for updates, and if there is any update, it will install them.
2. Delete AppData and Reinstall Discord
The second method that you can try out is to delete existing AppData and then reinstall Discord. This way, the older files of Discord will get completely removed from your computer, and you will be able to perform a fresh install. So, you will be able to switch to the latest version of Discord without any issues.
For this, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, go to Task Manager and end all Tasks related to Discord.
- Next, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program.
- Now over here, look for Discord app and click on the Uninstall button to remove the app from your computer.
- Once uninstalled, press Windows Key + R button to launch the RUN dialog box.
- Over here, type down %appdata% and hit the enter button. This will open up a new window, which will contain not required cache and data files.
- Use CTRL + A button to select all the files, and delete them. Also, in the end, one file would not get deleted, so leave it as it is.
- Now go to the Discord download page and download the latest version of Discord from there.
- Finally, run the discord installer and follow all the screen instructions to install Discord on your computer.
3. Disable Windows Defender
Windows Defender often blocks different applications on your computer from updating themselves. So to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error, you can try disabling Windows defender for a while and try to update Discord.
To do so, you can follow these steps:
- At first, click on the Windows icon from the bottom right corner.
- Then go to Settings > Update and Security.
- Next, from the sidebar, click on Windows Defender.
- Finally, you have to toggle off real time protection, and you are good to go.
- Once, Windows defender is disabled, launch Discord as administrator and see if you are being able to update Discord or not.
4. Disable Antivirus Protection
Are you using an Antivirus program on Windows computer? If yes, then it could be the reason why you are facing discord update failed loop error.
So you can consider disabling antivirus protection for a while and see if it has helped you to fix the issue or not.
For example, I am using Avast Antivirus, and to disable it, I have to right click on the Avast Shield Controls and disable it from there.
This is quite similar to other Antivirus applications too. So do disable your antivirus at first and then try to update Discord and see if it fixes your issue or not.
5. Contact Discord Support
In the end, if none of the above methods helped you to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error. Then the best you can do is contact Discord support, and they will help you out.
There are a bunch of ways to contact Discord support. You can go to their Discord Support page and submit a ticket related to your issue.
Or you can tweet to Discord at @Discord, and they will help you out instantly.
So that how can you fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error. Now it is your turn to go ahead and check these methods one by one and see if they are working out for you or not.
Also, if you have any more questions to ask related to the discord update failed loop, do feel free to let me know through the comments below.
How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates
Is your Discord not updating and get stuck in update loop? Do not worry, as most Discord users face this issue often. Instead of running smoothly, the Discord icon keeps spinning and then shows “Discord Update Failed”.
Thankfully, it’s not difficult to solve the issue on your own. Keep reading the article to learn how to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates.
What Is Discord?
Discord is a popular VoIP free video, voice and text application used by gamers worldwide to communicate with friends. Besides gamers, other people also love Discord to talk and share many things on this online chatting platform.
Additionally, it offers many interesting features like
- Start a new server for free and invite friends to join it. Servers can be private or public.
- In the text channels, post custom messages, upload files and share images or links.
- In the voice channels, connect via video or voice call and share screen with others in real-time (Go Live).
- Also, it’s possible to send private messages (DM) to other users or start a one-to-one video and voice call.
Though the Discord team keeps developing the app, users still face some issues. One of the common and irritating problems is Discord update failed on Windows or Discord keeps on updating forever.
Why Does Discord Fail To Update?
There are mainly four reasons behind the Discord checking for updateserror.
- Discord doesn’t allow users administrator-level privileges to install the latest version properly, resulting in an incomplete downloaded update.
- A server problem often causes the problem.
- A glitch in the network or slower connection can also explain why Discord fails to download and install updates.
- Corrupted or outdated cache files sometimes trigger Discord stuck at updating.
How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates Error?
Don’t get confused when your Discord keeps failing to update over and over. With the following possible solutions, you can fix Discord stuck on checking for updates 2021.https://a06f352e374d32fe5484f8354827d7bd.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
However, not every time the app itself causes the error. So, before taking major steps, try these two simple fixes.
Fix 1: Restart Router
Some misconfigurations in the router may cause you trouble. Hence, try to reboot it to solve the problem.
Fix 2: Restart PC
Restarting the PC or laptop can help you to get rid of the Discord update loop issue.
- Close the Discord app.
- Restart the PC.
- After reboot, open Discord and check if it’s updating or not.
Are you still getting the error? Then let’s try the following solutions to fix the Discord not updating problem.
1. Run Discord As An Administrator
There may be a chance that you can’t update Discord due to permission issues. An easy solution to fix it is by running the application as an administrator. You can follow the steps below:
- Open the desktop and locate the Discord shortcut.
- Right-click on the Discord icon and select Run as administrator.
- If prompted by the User Account Control, click Yes to allow Discord to make changes on the device.
- Open Discord.
Hopefully, it will now begin the update properly without getting stuck.
2. End Discord Process
If the problem still persists, try this solution. Discord runs in the background and keeps checking for new updates. Unfortunately, due to the background service, it sometimes fails to get the update.
In order to fix the Discord update loop error on Windows 10, you need to end its background process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Right-click on the taskbar on the desktop and select Task Manager.
- End all tasks related to Discord.
- Relaunch Discord.
Now check if it has resolved your issue.
3. Uninstall and Reinstall Discord
Sometimes glitches in the current version may prevent the Discord app from updating. As a result, it gets stuck on checking for an update.
In that case, try to uninstall the app from the computer and reinstall it again to fix the problem. At the same time, you can delete the AppData content as well to clear any corrupted cache. Here’s the complete process:
- First, go to the Task Manager and end all Discord tasks.
- Press Win+R to open the Run command box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
- A page will appear containing Programs and Features. Locate Discord.
- If you find it, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Again press Win+R together, type %appdata% in the command box and hit enter.
- A new app folder will open containing all content like cache.
- Find the Discord folder, right-click on it and select Delete. If you can’t find it, the folder is probably hidden. From the top bar, select View to see all hidden items.
- Now, visit the official Discord website to download the latest version.
- Restart the computer and launch Discord to solve the stuck at update loop problem.
4. Disable Windows Defender
Some antivirus software like Windows Defender blocks updating files for security reasons. Such antivirus often detects certain files as a threat and hence, they can’t be downloaded.
If you’re using Discord on Windows 10, disabling Windows Defender may fix when Discord is not updating. Let’s follow the steps to accomplish the task:
- Press the Windows key and click Settings (gear button on the left side).
- Select Update & Security.
- Click Windows Security >Virus & threat protection >Manage settings.
- Toggle off Real-time protection.
- Click Save and Exit.
Install and open Discord again.
5. Contact Discord Support
If nothing works, then you need to contact Discord support regarding the problem. You can visit their help center page and look for the solutions listed there.
If you can’t find the particular solution,follow the process to solve when Discord stuck on checking for updates:
- Click on the Submit a request button on the top bar.
- Fill up all the details, attach files if you have any and submit.
You need to wait for a while for their response.
As a popular communication platform, it’s really annoying when the screen gets stuck on updating. Moreover, you need the app to be updated so that you won’t miss any latest features or development.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned fixes are helpful enough to get rid of the Discord stuck at updating issue. When it starts running smoothly, enjoy gaming and chatting with friends all around the globe.