The reason behind this issue is usually improper audio settings or your audio device not being selected as the default device. In some cases, the issue might be caused by a Discord update or a bug in the Discord app. Most of these reasons can be eliminated within a few minutes so you don’t have to worry.
- 1 Can’t Hear People on Discord (Fixed)
- 2 I can’t hear people in Discord: how to fix it?
- 3 What Is Discord?
- 4 Why Does the Sound Not Work on Discord?
- 5 On a Final Note
- 6 What Causes Discord Can’t Hear Anyone?
- 7 Fixing Discord Can’t Hear Anyone
- 8 Final Words
Can’t Hear People on Discord (Fixed)
- Turn On The Subsystem Of Legacy Audio– You have to follow some simple steps to do this-
- Open the discord.
- Go to the gear icon also known as user settings. You can easily find it in the right of the avatar in your device.
- Then you need to select the video and audio option.
- You need to scroll down a little, and you will find the subsystem option.
- You have to toggle use the subsystem of legacy Audio.
- After the dialog box appears to click on it.
- Select the ESC button, and your issues are resolved.
- Set your Communication device on default- ways to do this are as follows-
- Select the sound icon by the right click.
- You must click on the playback device option.
- Then the option of default device will appear to you click on it.
- Select the apply button after following the guided steps shown in the default device.
- After everything is done click on the ok button and everything is resolved.
Steps To Use Input And Output Sound Correctly-
The following steps are needed to use the correct input and output sound system-
- Visit the discord page.
- Find the gear icon and select on it.
- Click on to the video and audio option.
- You will find the input and output option.
- Visit the drop down bar and click on the audio device of correction.
- Refreshing Discord– Check whether your discord is releasing too many updates that may cause crashing the sound system files. Sometimes the refreshing may solve such blogging issues.
- Practice Using The Web Version- After trying every possible way, still then if your problem is not solved then definitely you must not make any other fuss anymore. Instead, try the last thing that is the web version. This is very easy. Just visit the current web browser which you are using then work on it about the repair of your discord problem of sound.
Since you have read all the discord resolving techniques and methods, it will soon be easy for you to do this easily without taking any others to help. All you need is some patience and careful reading of procedures and following it accordingly, and your problem is solved. The repair tool or reimage is also useful for you if the above steps do not work in your device by chance. Since many reviews say the above methods worked, you can also try them out.
I can’t hear people in Discord: how to fix it?
Discord is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) application designed mainly for gamers, but even non-gamers can use it for voice and text interactions. However, sometimes, you may not hear other people while voice chatting over an exciting game.
When that happens, it’s an indication that something is wrong with your audio settings. You may have to look out for the green sound indicator to be sure it’s not a network issue. Also, there may be a bug affecting the Discord app’s audio.
Whatever the case might be, fixing this problem is no longer difficult. In this guide, we will teach you how to fix the audio issue on Discord.
What Is Discord?
Discord is a chat platform for gamers. It is accessible on Windows, macOS, Android, Linux, and iOS devices. Gamers can use Discord on a website, but it’s better to use an application to chat on the platform.
To chat over Discord, you have to create a new server or join an already existing one. The servers are game communities where people communicate, and it’s impossible to interact with other users without joining one directly.
Each server has channels that allow users to text or voice chat. Also, the platform has other options, such as buying gifts and sending them to other gamers, deleting channels you’re no longer interested in, and lots more.
Besides, there are servers and channels for users who are not necessarily game freaks. Therefore, non-gamers may also find this platform useful for interacting with different people.
More importantly, using Discord is free. Moreover, the platform will always be accessible without charge, according to the management.
Why Does the Sound Not Work on Discord?
There are quite a few reasons why the audio may not work on your Discord application. The most likely causes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mic input not functioning
- Audio output not functioning
- The wrong device set as the default audio device
- Viruses preventing your audio from working
- Outdated audio device drivers
- Your OS needing an upgrade
You may need to check for those issues if you can’t hear any sound while voice chatting. Also, you may have to learn how to enable audio on Discord.
In any case, we will cover all the details for you in the following paragraphs so you can start listening to other users without any disruptions.
Method 1: Restart Your Computer
Performing a simple restart is almost always the first thing to do whenever you are experiencing any issue on your Windows 10 PC. After restarting your computer, open your Discord app to see if everything is working fine already.
If the sound is still not working, try adjusting Discord settings using the method below.
Method 2: Check Discord Settings
The first thing to check when the sound is not working on Discord is the app’s audio settings. If you figure out the issue quickly, you won’t have to try the other troubleshooting methods.
1. Check If You Are Muted
You may have unknowingly muted yourself or another user while setting up a conversation. In this case, you can quickly identify this using the mic or headset icon.
If any of the icons (mic or headset) is crossed with a slanted line, you have deafened yourself or other users. Click the crossed icon to unmute yourself or those users.
Also, the admin of a server or channel can mute you, making it impossible for you to hear what others say on the platform. Reach out to the admin and ask them to unmute you from their end. That should solve the problem. Otherwise, check the Discord settings outlined below.
2. Check Channel Permissions
If you have the time, try joining other servers and channels, and then observe if the sound is also not working. If the situation is different on other servers, reach out to the server admin and tell them to enable the following voice permissions:
It should work after that. If not, try the next fix below.
3. Adjust Volume Settings
This issue often comes up when users are having a one-on-one conversation. In this case, you may have changed the volume settings, and you’ll need to right-click the user’s icon. After that, use the volume slider in the menu to adjust the volume.
Method 3: Troubleshoot Your Desktop Client
If you’re running a Discord desktop client on a Windows 10 computer, you will find the following tips helpful:
- Verify if your OS is compatible with the Discord app. You can use this link to check that.
- Update your computer to the latest OS.
- Upgrade your Discord app to the most recent version.
- Quitting and then restarting the Discord app may also help.
- Check all the audio jacks on your computer. You may have plugged your audio device into a port that’s no longer working.
- Check your app permissions for Discord to be sure that the microphone is supported.
Ensure that your sound/audio drivers are up to date. If not, download Auslogics Driver Updater now. It will update all the faulty and outdated drivers on your computer. The manual process of updating drivers is lengthy and complicated, and we won’t discuss it in this guide.
If you have done the basic checks and the sound is still not working on your Discord app, try the next steps:
- Click on the cog icon in the bottom-left corner of your Discord app interface. In the left pane, select Voice & Video to access the settings.
- Check your input mode to ensure that Push to Talk isn’t activated.
- Switch your input/output to your specific audio device.
- Adjust the volume settings for your input and output.
- If adjusting the settings gets too complicated, you can use the Reset Voice Settings option for activating the default audio options.
- Disable the Ensure Quality of Service High Packet Priority option under the Quality of Service
Are you still unable to hear the sound on your Discord app? Try the following advanced checks:
- Delete and reinstall the Discord app.
- Viruses may affect how you hear the sound on Discord. Therefore, try using an antivirus program to detect harmful entities on your computer. You can use Auslogics Anti-Malware for this. It is reliable and easy-to-use, and it does not conflict with your primary antivirus program. This software can detect anything that may be harmful to your computer.
- After using an anti-malware tool, relaunch the Discord app or download the beta version.
Method 3: Troubleshoot Your Browser
This method is applicable if you are using Discord on your web browser. (We recommend you install and use the app directly on your computer, but it’s okay if there are reasons why you prefer the web application).
The following steps will help you resolve the issue quickly:
- Make sure that your browser is compatible with the Discord app.
- Check the browser’s ‘permission’ settings to ensure you have allowed Discord to use your microphone.
On a Final Note
Have you tried all the methods yet? Did they work for you? If you still need to know more about how to fix the audio issue on Discord, reach out to us or drop a line in the comment section below. You can also check our blog for solutions to other Windows 10 problems.
Discord can’t hear anyone occurs due to several reasons. The most common causes can be a hardware issue, a bug in the client, or some other third-party software.
However, these aren’t the only reasons behind the issue at all. After doing detailed research on the issue and trying to find everything about it, I was able to gather some interesting facts. All thought this is sound & microphone related problem, like the Discord Mic Not Working.
During that time, I noticed some issues that may cause the discord can’t hear anyone’s problem. To make this article completely helpful, I will add all the reasons for the issue before we start learning how to solve it.
What Causes Discord Can’t Hear Anyone?
Here are some of the main causes that I found during my research. Knowing the reasons before the solution part makes things very easy. Once you know the root cause of the issue then it won’t take long to get rid of the problem. The following are the possible causes of discord can’t hear anyone.
- Hardware issue
- Software bug
- Third-party software
- Incorrect app settings
- Incorrect windows audio setting
- Corrupted client files
There might be some other issues as well but from now on we will stick to only the above ones. I will keep updating the article as I find more reasons which will make it more informative with time.
I hope after reading the above-mentioned causes you might have a bit clear picture in your mind. I am sure this will help a lot in saving time and efforts while solving the discord can’t hear anyone.
Let’s move on to the solution part of the article and learn how to fix the discord can’t hear anyone.
Windows Users:- Fixing Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working Problem
Fixing Discord Can’t Hear Anyone
Please keep in mind that I have listed all these methods after hours of research and digging deep about the subject. My goal was to make this article as helpful as I could for you. There might be some fixes that may not work for and that is only due to a simple fact.
Sometimes the issue occurs due to different reasons. Due to this, you need to apply the fix according to the cause of the issue. However, if you are trying different solutions then chances are you may not be able to get rid of it.
Method 1- Checking Hardware
Before trying any of the mentioned solutions the first thing I want you to do is to ensure your hardware. It is because sometimes very silly and minor problems can lead to serious consequences.
I remember a few years back one summer morning I noticed my computer wasn’t turning on. I felt worried and due to this, I called my cousin who is a bit more expert in computers than me. He told me that my computer might have a problem with PSU or it may be the motherboard that is causing the issue.
These statements from him only increased my worry however, the problem was only due to power failure. Therefore, sometimes even slight human errors can lead to silly problems. It is possible that your hardware components have stopped working and you are blaming discord.
To check your hardware component, you will need to carry out a small test that will help you figure out the status. To do this, you need to put your headphones on and then play a voice or video clip and see if you can hear the voice.
Method 2- Restart Discord
If your hardware is fully functional then there shouldn’t be any problem due to it. In such situations, you need to figure out and fix internal discord errors. However, before going too technical about the issue, I would like to start with the basics first and then move on.
The first and the easiest fix to discord can’t hear anyone can be just restarting the app. Sometimes it isn’t loaded successfully or maybe the cached data may be causing trouble. During my research, I noticed that mostly this problem was fixed for most people by just restarting the discord app.
However, I know this is too obvious and can’t possibly work in all cases. Therefore, if it didn’t work for you don’t lose hope just move on to the next method.
Method 3- Configure the Correct Output Device and Output Volume
Another thing that can help you while fixing the discord can’t hear anything is correct settings. You can use these settings to get proper audio and enjoy your endless gaming sessions. If you aren’t familiar with the discord settings then you shouldn’t worry at all. Also if you ever faced an issue while opening discord, I wrote a detailed guide of Discord Won’t Open.
It is because I am going to guide you in a step-by-step manner on how to do it. All you need to do is to follow the given steps below and you will be good to go.
- Open Discord app & go to “Settings” by clicking little gear icon on the screen.
- Click on Voice & Video option
- Scroll down until you see “Reset voice settings”, tap on it & confirm it.
Once you do this it will restore everything back to factory settings. If there was any problem in the voice or video settings then it should be solved now and you won’t be seeing any issue at all. Apart from that, make sure the output volume is ok and the slider isn’t at zero.
But in other had you can manually select voice input & output device, if you using multiple voice devices.
- So again go to Voice & Video settings.
- Don’t scroll, on the top, you will see “Input Device” & “Output Device” side by side.
- Tap on it & a dropdown menu will open up, now select as per your need where you want to input & output.
- Note this feature will be handy if you have multiple voice input & out devices connected.
If it is then you need to drag it with the help of your mouse to full. Once you do it put it to the test and see if the problem is solved or not. If it isn’t then you need to solve it with the help of some other methods.
Related Post:- Discord stuck on checking for updates
Method 4- Checking Advanced Settings
If the video and audio setting didn’t prove that helpful there is still one more option that you can try. Inside the same menu of video and audio setting, if you scroll down you will see a new option called “Advanced”. Use that option to fix issue. Here is how you can do it.
- Go to the Advanced option under Discord Voice & Video settings.
- Find “Audio Subsystem”.
- Make sure the subsystem is set to Standard.
- Next, find the quality of service section
- disable the “Ensure the quality of service high packet Priority”
Once you follow all the steps carefully the next thing you need to do is to turn off discord and refresh your computer twice. After that relaunch your discord application and see if the problem is gone or not.
Method 5- Windows Audio Settings
Sometimes you can’t hear people in discord due to the windows sound settings. There are multiple reasons which can block the user audio. However, the most common issue is the missing sound drivers and muted volume.
In such situations, you need to check if the windows audio settings are ok or not. In order to do this, you need to follow the given steps to the letter. Following and executing each step correctly will help you get rid of discord no sound issue.
- Drag your mouse cursor to the Windows Toolbar
- Find speaker Settings, Right Click on it & “Open Sound Settings”.
- Now once it opens up, Right side clicks “Sound Control Panel” under Related settings.
- Once it opens up, Under the Playback settings you will see all connected audio devices.
- Now select any audio device as per your choice, then right-click on it & click on Set as Default Communication Device.
- You can also set Default Recording communication device, by going to the Recoding tab & follow the previous step.
- Finally, Apply then “OK”. Restarting your Computer also good.
After following the above steps you won’t be seeing any discord sound issue if it was caused by the windows audio settings.
You Might Faced:- How to fixed Discord stuck on checking for updates
Method 6- Legacy Audio Subsystem
Another method that can help you get rid of the issue is the lagacy audio subsystem. I know some people may not be very familiar with it and for them, this might be a completely new term. But there isn’t anything to worry about because I am here to help you.
During my research, I noticed that sometimes people might not hear other people on discord. It is because of the incompatible device that most players are using. Since discord is getting updated regularly and the developers try their best to make it better and better.
In case your hardware is not compatible with your discord version then you need to downgrade your software. There is a setting called legacy audio subsystem. You can use that to make your app compatible with your hardware and maximize your gaming experience. The following tutorial will guide you through the steps to enable the legacy mode.
- Open the Discord.
- Go to user Settings located in the lower-left corner.
- Open, go to “Voice & Video” settings under App Settings.
- Scroll down and find the Audio Subsystem in the drop-down menu.
- Select the “Legacy” option shown in the menu.
- Agree to the prompt window by clicking Okay.
- Restart the app and check if your problem is gone or not.
Discord can’t hear anyone can be quite annoying especially when you want to spend a beautiful evening with your mates. However, the best thing is we can solve the problem and that too without making a lot of effort.
After doing a lot of research, and studying the topic from different angles, I was able to find some of the root causes of this issue. In addition to this, I have also mentioned some methods that can help you get rid of this problem.
I hope after reading this article, you will have your issue solved. If you enjoyed reading and found this article helpful please feel free to share it with your friends and family.
If you want me to add anything extra to this article to make it more helpful please let me know in the comments. I will love it add valuable information to the article and make it more helpful.