- Your computer is low on memory Windows 10 message can indicate that some apps use too much space.
- While the pop-up Your computer is low on memory isn’t a virus, it can be caused by one.
- Also, when the computer is low on memory, it’s advised to close demanding programs.
- Cleaning the disk will help with eliminating some of them.
- 0.1 Your Computer is low on memory on Windows 10
- 0.2 How do I fix the Your computer is low on memory error?
- 0.2.1 1. Repair your registry
- 0.2.2 2. Run a full system scan
- 0.2.3 3. Correct system errors
- 0.2.4 4. Close the programs that are using too much memory
- 0.2.5 5. Use Windows Troubleshooter
- 0.2.6 6. Manually increase Virtual Memory
- 0.2.7 7. Update your OS
- 0.2.8 8. Check your disk for errors
- 0.2.9 9. Clean your temporary files and folders
- 0.2.10 10. Remove recently installed software
- 1 [Solved] Your Computer Is Low on Memory Windows 7/8/10 in 8 Ways
- 1.1 Backup Files to Avoid Data Loss Due to Low Memory on Computer
- 1.2 8 Ways to Fix Your Computer Is Low on Memory Windows 10/8/7
Your Computer is low on memory on Windows 10
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware, hardware failure and optimize your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC issues and remove viruses now in 3 easy steps:
- Download Restoro PC Repair Tool that comes with Patented Technologies
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix issues affecting your computer’s security and performance
- Restoro has been downloaded by 890,420 readers this month.
One common error issued by the Windows 10 system (which cannot be fixed using classic troubleshooting processes) is the one that is referring to low virtual memory.
This message is referring to low virtual memory, a problem that can lead to lags and malfunctions on your Windows device, not to mention that is quite stressful to get the same alert over and over again.
Anyway, there are various reasons that can cause the error, so you should read all the guidelinesbelow, before applying the proper troubleshoot solution for your device.
This troubleshooting guide will show you how to fix this annoying issue in the following instances:
- Your computer is low on memory (but it’s not)
- Many users report that when this alert appears, PC memory actually works correctly. It appears that the computer somehow misinterprets various memory indicators.
- Your computer is low on memory Claymore
- This cryptocurrency miner apparently uses too much memory, triggering the low memory alerts.
- Your computer is low on memory black screen issues
- Sometimes, the low memory error also triggers black screen issues, forcing users to reboot their PCs.
- CutePDF Your computer is low on memory alerts
- CutePDF is a PDF converter that often displays low memory alerts.
- These messages usually appear when users want to print the converted PDF files.
- Your computer is low on memory Excel
- Sometimes, saving an Excel file may become a very difficult task due to the low memory error message
- Your computer is low on memory Dying Light, Call of Duty, WoW, and more
- If you’re a gamer, you have probably encountered this error message quite a few times. Games use large chunks of memory, and for this reason, they often trigger low memory errors.
We hope that the following troubleshooting steps will prove useful in most of the cases listed above if not all.
How do I fix the Your computer is low on memory error?
- Repair your registry
- Run a full system scan
- Correct system errors
- Close the programs that are using too much memory
- Use Windows Troubleshooter
- Manually increase Virtual Memory
- Update your OS
- Check your disk for errors
- Clean your temporary files and folders
- Remove recently installed software
1. Repair your registry
Since this is not an easy task to do, and especially if you’re not a computer savy, using a third-party tool like Restoro will help a great deal.
With Restoro, you can rest assured that you’ll have the registry back in top shape in a matter of minutes, without you having to do anything or look further into the problem.
Restoro will scan the registry for corrupted or missing files and replace them to ensure a correct system performance. All this with minimum effort on your side.
An alternative method is to repair the registry using the System File Checker.
1. Go to Start and type cmd, then right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
2. Run a full system scan
Some malicious files might prompt you with the Your Computer is low on memory alert. The same programs will then prompt you to download various dedicated software to fix the low memory issue.
Of course, this is nothing but a scam and you shouldn’t download or install anything on your Windows 10 PC.
All you need in this case is a strong antivirus program, as well as an antimalware tool. Perform a full scan of your computer to remove malware.
You can use Windows’ built-in antivirus or third-party antivirus solutions. We recommend Vipre as it is an affordable antivirus solution, but equally reliable, and has a lot of useful features and protection tools.
If virus or malware infection was the initial cause of the problem, then after using a security tool, the low memory pop-up should disappear.
3. Correct system errors
The safest way is to entrust such sensitive technical issues to a dedicated tool such as IObit Advanced System Care. It’s not just quicker, but also more convenient, instead of you trying to find the reason for the memory error.
IObit has a bunch of different products designed to clean, optimize, update and protect your operating system.
What Advanced System Care does is to deep clean your PC for hidden, unnecessary program leftovers and old registry keys eliminating them, monitor system condition in real-time, and corrects disk errors.
The premium version of the tool also includes defragmentation option, deep clean feature to prevent system crash and RAM cleaning process to free up memory space.
The startup process can be improved by 200% with the Pro version, while also getting a 300% faster Internet browsing speed.
4. Close the programs that are using too much memory
1. Right-click on your desktop and selec Task Manager.
2. Select the Processes tab and click on Memory (Private Working set).
3. Here, remove or end the processes that are using too much memory. This should resolve your problems.
Run a System Scan to discover potential errors
Click Start Scan to find Windows issues
Click Repair All to fix issues with Patented Technologies.Run a PC Scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors causing security problems and slowdowns. After the scan is complete, the repair process will replace damaged files with fresh Windows files and components.
Usually, the “Your Computer is low on memory” error is displayed when there are many processes running or your programs are using too much memory.
In this case, your RAM won’t support all these processes and you will be prompted to make some changes in order to disable some of your programs.
Well, that’s exactly what you should do – of course, remove only the processes that aren’t important for you. As a quick reminder, if you disable a system process, you can damage your OS.
5. Use Windows Troubleshooter
- From your Start Screen press Wind + F keyboard keys.
- In the search box type Troubleshooting.
- From the Troubleshooting window select View All (located on the left panel) and pick System Maintenance.
- Tap on Next and wait while your Windows 8 system is running the troubleshooting process.
If you want to avoid closing down your programs, you can also use Windows 10‘s built-in troubleshooting tool.
- Go to Settings, choose Troubleshoot, and scroll down to Find and fix other problems
- If one of the apps installed on your PC uses too much memory, we recommend running the Windows Store Apps troubleshooting tool. It’s the last one on the list.
In some cases, rare ones, if a program is forcefully closed, or if something isn’t working properly on your Windows device, you might be prompted with the Your computer is low on memory error message.
This is happening because Windows is allocating too much virtual memory to the mentioned process, while your system is trying to fix all the problems.
Anyway, don’t worry as you can resolve these issues by running the System maintenance Troubleshooter as shown above.
6. Manually increase Virtual Memory
- In the home screen, type advanced system settings and double click the first result
- Select the Advanced tab and click Settings under the Performance panel.
- In the new window, click the Advanced tab again and go to the Virtual Memory panel; from there select Change.
- Clean the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box.
- Click on Drive (Volume Label) and choose Custom Size.
- Add a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box and then select Set.
By increasing your virtual memory, you will be able to resolve the low memory issues or alerts. Of course, you will have to do it manually as there are no apps dedicated to this matter.
7. Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues.
To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type update in the search box.
8. Check your disk for errors
You can run a disk check using Command Prompt.
Start Command Prompt as administrator and type the chkdsk C: /f command followed by Enter. Replace C with the letter of your hard drive partition.
As a quick reminder, if you do not use the /f parameter, chkdsk displays a message that the file needs to be fixed, but it does not fix any errors.
The chkdsk D: /f command detects and repairs logical issues affecting your drive. To repair physical issues, run the /r parameter as well.
9. Clean your temporary files and folders
1. Go to Start, type Disk Cleanup and launch the tool
2. Select the disk that you want to clean. The tool will tell you how much space you can free up.
3. Select Clean up system files.
If you want to delete temporary files like an expert, don’t hesitate to also check out this exhaustive Disk Cleanup guide.
10. Remove recently installed software
If you recently installed new software on your computer, try uninstalling it.
Go to Start, type Control Panel. Select the program(s) recently added and click Uninstall.
Then restart your computer, and see if the issue has been solved.
Alternatively, you can use an uninstaller tool. As always, we’ve got you covered with the best options!
[Solved] Your Computer Is Low on Memory Windows 7/8/10 in 8 Ways
These are the best methods to apply when you are dealing with Your Computer is low on memory Windows 10 error.
If you couldn’t fix these issues after using these guidelines, you should consider expanding your RAM. If you have any questions or if you need extra help, leave us a message in the comments field below.Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
All solutions to Your computer is low on memory on Windows 10/8/7:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Close programs||Your computer is low on memory error is displayed when your programs are using too much memory…|
|Fix 2. Use Windows troubleshooter||Windows troubleshooter can be helpful if a program is forcefully closed, or if something isn’t working…|
|Fix 3. Run system file scan||Run SFC scan to check and repair corrupted system files, like a corrupted registry file. SFC scan..|
|Fix 4. Increase virtual memory||By increasing your virtual memory, you will be able to resolve the low memory issues or alerts…|
|Other 4 more useful tips||Other solutions are: upgrade RAM, update Windows to the latest version, repair bad sectors…|
One of the most common issues Windows users encounter is low memory on computers. The error message is as follows:
In Windows 10, the error message reads as “Your computer is low on memory. To restore enough memory for programs to work correctly, save your files, and then close to restart all open programs.”
In Windows 7, it reads a little different but suggests the same problem “Close programs to prevent information loss. Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs.”
When you meet Your computer is low on memory problem, your computer runs out of RAM and becomes low on virtual memory. Computer memory RAM and Virtual Memory items are totally different from the physical disk space of hard-drives or removable storage devices. You may receive Your computer is low on memory alerts repeatedly or sometimes, Your computer is low on memory but it’s not.
As long as you are bothered by a computer out of memory, you come to the right place. We hope that the troubleshooting methods on this page will be useful to help you out.
Backup Files to Avoid Data Loss Due to Low Memory on Computer
Some users report that the low memory error also triggers black screen issues, forcing users to reboot their PCs. In general, when your computer has running low memory warning, you may encounter data loss caused by the computer stuck, so it’s best to back up data frequently.
EaseUS Todo Backup offers you ultimate data backup solutions to protect data on Windows-based computers. It enables you to perform system backup, disk/partition backup, and file backup.
It also allows you to clone the system to duplicate your operating system to another hard drive, USB, or other storage media. You can migrate OS to SSD without reinstalling Windows.
You can free download EaseUS data backup software on your Windows 10/8/7 computer and use it to back up your computers to avoid data loss regularly.
Support Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP
Step 1. Open EaseUS Todo Backup and select”File” on the main window.
Step 2. Select the files to backup and select the backup destination.
You can choose specific files that you want to back up by browsing the left pane and click “Browse” to select a destination for saving the file backup.
You’d better create the backup file in some other storage media or in some other drive in case of getting the backup file corrupted or destroyed.
Step 3. Create a backup plan to automatically back up selected files.
1. Click “Schedule: Off” to create a flexible and automatic backup plan.
2. Set the automatic backup schedule by day, by week or by month and click “Save” to keep the changes.
If you can also click “Backup options” at the left bottom to set more advanced parameters for the plan.
And the Image-reserve strategy will help you to keep the backup image as per image retention rule.
Step 4. Click “Proceed” to execute your operation.
If Your computer is low on memory problem has caused a boot issue, you can still use EaseUS Todo Backup to restore and backup files with bootable USB in the WinPE environment.
8 Ways to Fix Your Computer Is Low on Memory Windows 10/8/7
Some malicious files infected by viruses or malware might lead to Your Computer is low on memory but it’s not. So, you can first run Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender, or third-party antivirus program to perform a full scan of your computer to remove malware viruses.
If a virus or malware infection isn’t the cause of low memory, apply the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem.
1. Close the Programs That Are Using Too Much Memory
Some processes using too much memory would probably throw you the exact low memory error on your computer. In fact, the following way of ending the process that is using too much memory in the Task Manager is beneficial when Windows OS is with high RAM or CPU usage issue.
Step 1. Press “Ctrl + Alt + Del” to bring up a menu and choose “Task Manager”.
Step 2. Under the Process tab, you’ll clearly see which process is using the most memory. Right-click the process’s name and choose “End task”. This should resolve your problems.
2. Use Windows Troubleshooter
If a program or something else doesn’t work properly on your Windows 7/8/10 system, you might be prompted with the Your Computer is low on memory error message. In this case, you can run Windows Troubleshooter and perform system maintenance to solve the issue.
Step 1. Type Troubleshooting in the search box.
Step 2. On the left panel, select “View All” and choose “System Maintenance” from the list.
Step 3. Click on “Next” and wait while your system to finish the troubleshooting process.
3. Run System File Scan
When your system files, such as registry files, have corrupted, you may also receive the Your computer is low on memory Windows 7 or Windows 8, and 10. Use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. This utility verifies the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems.
Step 1. Type cmd in the Search box. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Step 2. Now type the sfc /scannow command, and press Enter.
Step 3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. If corrupted system files cause the computer low memory, the problem will be solved.
4. Increase the Virtual Memory
By increasing the virtual memory, you will be able to resolve the computer low memory issue. Follow the steps below to do it manually as there are no apps dedicated to this matter.
Step 1. Press “Windows + R” and type sysdm.cpl in the Run dialog box, and click “OK” to open System Properties.
Step 2. Click “Advanced system settings”.
Step 3. Then click “Settings” under the Advanced pane on System Properties.
Step 4. Go on to click “Change” under the Advanced pane.
Step 5. Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”.
- Tick on “Custom Size”.
- Then set “Initial size” and “Maximum size” by yourself. (The sizes you set should be moreover than the Recommended size.)
- Click “Set” and “OK”.
5. Upgrade RAM
If you really don’t have a lot of memory and often have a computer low memory problem, you can upgrade your RAM. RAM upgrades can speed up your computer, and you’ll experience fewer system freezes or hangs.
Note: If you are not a computer professional, it’s better not to do this yourself. You can turn to a computer expert for help.
6. Update Windows to the Latest Version
Make sure you are running the latest Windows version. Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows update to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues. Updating your Windows OS to the latest version is one fix for your computer is low on memory.
Step 1. Open “Settings” on your Windows 10/8/7. Click “Update & security” and click on the “Check for updates” button under the Update status to check whether there is a new version of Windows available.
Step 2. If there is one, install the update immediately and restart your computer afterward.
7. Check and Repair Disk Errors
Your disk has bad sectors is also one of the reasons for Your computer is low on memory problem. In this case, you can run a file system check to repair the corrupted file system disk.
EaseUS Partition Master Free is a mature disk management tool that enables you to create/delete/format partition, resize/move partitions to solve low disk space issue, merge partitions, clone disk, wipe data, and convert disk/partition, which is totally free.
Now, download and use this free disk management tool to check and repair bad sectors on your disk to solve computer low memory issue on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10